What is the Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP)?
The Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) is an open work permit; this program aims to ensure that students can work in Canada after they complete their education. The most important program in Canada implemented by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is the PGWP, which helps to attract thousands of foreign students to Canadian institutions. The program helps international students to permanently stay in Canada after university graduation.
Read ahead as we, the best consultants for Canada , will guide you about the PGWP. It acts like an open work permit that allows graduates to get a permanent stay in the country without the need for a job offer.
When Can You Apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit?
As soon as you get an official transcript or a degree from your educational institution in Canada, the deadline to apply for this work permit is within 180 days or six months. The letter from the institution should confirm that you are eligible to meet the requirements to complete the program of study. Our study Canada consultants in ensure that you can leave Canada and then apply for PGWP if the study permit is set to expire before the marks are declared by the institution.
Official Requirements of the PGWP Program
The official requirements of this program are straightforward. Graduates are not eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP). Our Canada education consultants ensure that:
- The educational institute they joined was a private career college under a curriculum licensing agreement with a public PGWP-eligible institution in another province.
- Students already enrolled in these programs are given a transitional period. Students who meet all the requirements of eligibility can get the PGWP benefits.
- Only one post-graduation work permit is given to eligible graduates in a lifetime.
Moreover, in order to get a PGWP, you should have a valid temporary status in Canada. This means that your graduation should be from an eligible designated learning institution DLI and the candidate has ample evidence of meeting the criteria. For example, they should prove that they have completed an academic, vocational, or professional training program in a recognized program in Canada.
Moreover, to achieve the study of Canada dream, the status of a student in Canada must be a full-time student during each academic session. There can be some exceptions for the following such as:
- The student has taken a leave from his studies.
- The student is in the final academic session.
- The student has received an official transcript and a letter from the eligible DLI to show all study program requirements were met successfully.
- The students should include their official letter and transcript in the work permit application.
- As 180 days pass after the date of the application for the PGWP, applicants must also meet one of the following criteria:
- Students should have a valid study permit in Canada.
- They are holding a study permit
- The students are authorized to study in Canada without the requirement to obtain a study permit under the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.
On the other hand, those candidates who are not eligible are as follows.
Applicants who are Ineligible
- Those students who have previously taken or obtained a post-graduation work permit
- Those candidates who have received funding from Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
- Any students who have participated in the Government of Canada Awards Program
- Students who are already benefiting from the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, Canada–Chile
- Students who are taking advantage of the Canada–China Scholars’ Exchange Program
- And students who are participating in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program
What Supporting Documents do you need for the PGWP Program?
Our study in Canada consultants ensures that as an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure the information provided is accurate.
Program Confirming Letter
You will need a letter confirming completion of your study program to meet the requirements of the PGWP. However, you may need some additional documents to fulfill this criteria.
As an applicant, you may need an official transcript issued by their DLI; you may be asked to show the letter of completion of your studies. Keep the fingers crossed and meet all the requirements of the application.
Leave from studies
You also need to mention if you took any leaves from studies during the program, the officer will ensure that the applicant took the leave that was authorized by their DLI during their studies. This may include the documentation regarding the authorized leave by the DLI.